I’ve really been thinking about the idea of discipline lately, namely self-discipline. I looked up the definition of discipline in the dictionary, and there are about a dozen definitions. In my life, I would have to say that discipline would be defined as “doing the things that I need to do, even though I don’t feel like doing them.”

I’ve also recognized an error in my thinking about discipline that God is slowly correcting. I used to think that discipline = workaholism. I thought a life of discipline meant that you spent relentless hours at work, studying, working, etc. God’s been showing me that that’s not what discipline is at all, and in fact, workaholism flies in the face of discipline at times.

For instance, I recognize that per my definition (doing the things that I need to do, even though I don’t feel like doing them) I violate discipline more often than I think. I know that I need to rest regularly and take time off, but sometimes I don’t. I know that there are times when I need to be with my family or taking care of things at home, but instead I do something else. In fact, there are times when I’m with my family and my head is at the office.

This is something that God has been really challenging me on for the past few months. God is saying to me that discipline requires presence. In other words, wherever I am, I need to be present there. I need to be present at the office when I’m counseling with someone. I need to be present with God when I’m reading scripture. I need to be present with my wife and son when I’m spending time with them.

It’s amazing how often I’ve caught myself violating this idea of discipline since God began to point it out to me. So, be present; wherever you are. The other stuff will get done; it always does. Live disciplined in this way, and watch how much more God allows you to appreciate each moment of your life.

0 Responses to 'Friday Leadership Post - Discipline & Presence'

My Blog List

Followers