Takeaways from My Recent Physical

Posted by Matt On 5:50 PM
This past Friday I went to Family Health Center in Pekin for a physical. This Sunday I get the privilege of speaking to BridgeWay about how we can end up 'somewhere on purpose' physically. I know that I'm not heading where I want to be physically, so I went to the good Dr. to find out how I can improve my health. He told me I was mildly overweight (I thought the assessment would be much worse than that!) and we discussed my target weight which is very attainable.

He also told me how I could attain my weight goals through my eating habits. Here are some of the big takeaways:

5 Foods to Avoid When Trying to Lose Weight:
  • Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup (drinking sugar in drinks is actually worse for you than eating it through food)
  • White Flour (any candy, cakes, desserts)
  • Potatoes (just varieties of white potatoes; yams and sweet potatoes don't count)
  • Rice
  • Pasta
Foods TO Eat:

Breakfast:
  • Eggs, cheese, vegetables
  • Toast and most cold cereal is empty carbs which won't last long
  • Oatmeal - can mix in peanut butter and protein powder
Lunch:
  • Salads with eggs, tuna, chicken
  • You CANNOT overeat vegetables
  • Feel free to eat until you're full, just eat the right things
Dinner:
  • Lean proteins (chicken, fish)
  • Vegetables
Snacks:
  • Cheese stick
  • Apple
  • Handful of nuts (only a handful!)
  • Drink lots of water
  • If in a pinch, pick up an Atkins protein bar, but 'real' food is better
Drinks:
  • Water
  • Tea
  • Black Coffee
  • Diet drinks are a weight loss inhibitor! (This was news to me!)
Exercising:
  • Aerobic exercise 30 minutes, 3 X a week
  • Resistance training 30 minutes, 2 X a week
My favorite takeaway: "If you want to eat like a typical American you'll look like a typical American. If you want to look atypical, you have to eat atypically."

Those were some high points. I'll be doing what I can to get healthy and build a healthy lifestyle. This isn't about looks, as much as it's about me being in the best physical condition I can be in to fulfill the work that God has called me to.

All the best on your journey!

0 Responses to 'Takeaways from My Recent Physical'

My Blog List

Followers