Friday Leadership Post - Model the Way

Posted by Matt On 12:16 PM
Have you ever asked someone to do something because you didn’t want to do it? I remember as a kid feeling like this is where the majority of chores from my parents originated. They saw a task they didn’t want to do and would ask (and by that I mean tell) me to do it. Now that I’m older, I understand that they were really not as concerned about the task as they were about instilling in me work ethic, the value of an honest day’s work, etc.

What about as a leader? Have you ever asked someone to do something that you didn’t want to do? Anyone who has ever had an intern serve under them probably has done this. I’ve asked my interns to clean out church vans, do research on portable baptisteries, pick up lunch, etc. All tasks that needed to be done and were important on some level, but stuff I really didn’t want to do.

When it comes to leading volunteers or a small group, the ball game is different. They can walk whenever they want. They don’t have to show up. What keeps them coming back (aside from God’s call on their life) is the fact that they feel valued and they feel part of a team. This requires us as leaders to model the way. This means don’t ask people to do something you’re not willing to do. Don’t tell everyone how important a service project is and then not show up. Don’t talk to people about the importance of prayer and never pray. Don’t ask someone to clean a bathroom while you stand and watch. Plus, that would be weird anyway.

The point is, as a leader anyone who is following you is a gift from God. God has entrusted you with this person or these people. He wants you to model the way spiritually, physically, and in whatever other way your leadership requires. Modeling the way is what all Godly leaders do, especially Jesus. Jesus valued everyone and modeled the way for them to live. So should we.

0 Responses to 'Friday Leadership Post - Model the Way'

My Blog List

Followers