Friday Leadership Post - Trust

Posted by Matt On 9:04 AM
One of Jesus’ most famous parables is the parable of the Talents (Matthew 25:14-30). The story is about a guy who leaves his money to three servants. One servant he gave 5 talents, another he gave 2 talents, and a third he gave one talent. The Bible says each was given ‘according to his ability’. By the time the master had returned, the servant with 5 talents had doubled it to 10 and the guy with 2 talents had doubled it to 4. However, the guy with one talent had buried it to ensure it wouldn’t be lost. The master was well pleased with the first two guys but furious with the third. He was so furious in fact, that he called the servant “wicked” and “lazy” (v. 26).

One of the biggest realizations in my life has been that this parable is about people who follow Jesus. That means me. That means that I fall into one of those three categories. That means God entrusts me with things that fit according to my trustworthiness. Frankly, that scares me. I mean, I think everyone wants to be the guy with the 5 talents who doubles it to 10. I certainly do. I want to do everything I can to change the world for Jesus. What scares me is the realization that I might end up being the guy with 2 talents, or even worse ‘wicked and lazy.’

God trusts us with big things when he can trust us with the small things. One of my daily prayers is a prayer of thanks for all that God has entrusted me with: my relationship with Him, my beautiful wife, my precious son, a position at a local church that I love, a staff I get to serve with that is second to none, and a church that I absolutely adore that is hungry to reach people for Jesus – and is, not to mention countless other relationships that I'm thankful for. As I look at that list, there is so much there that God is trusting me with. My job is to be faithful and effective to that task, not wicked and lazy.

What is in your life that God has entrusted to you? How are you doing managing those things?

1 Response to 'Friday Leadership Post - Trust'

  1. Bassist said...
    http://mattrobinsonlive.blogspot.com/2009/02/friday-leadership-post-trust.html?showComment=1234213800000#c4781617763986971446'> February 9, 2009 at 1:10 PM

    Excellent points Matt.

    Good thinking stuff.

    :)

     

My Blog List

Followers